One of the problems with the Folksong is cockpit drainage.
There are two drains set into the aft end of the cockpit that, in Blue Mistress’ case, lead out below the waterline.
Because the cockpit sole is at water level, there is always water visible in these drains.
At no time, in the six months I have sailed her, have I got wet feet, or found there to be any other than a minimal amount of water around these drains.
I am assured by the previous owner that he found this to be so too.
However, I know of at least one other boat that has ‘wet foot’ problems.
Well, I have found that the cockpit sole of Blue Mistress is a false one. It is 4-5 inches above the original.
There is a space between with, I presume, a supporting framework.
I guess this was a problem picked up when she was originally launched.
The real problem, of course, is how to placing sea valves on the outboard end of the drains to stop inflow in the unfortunate event of the drain becoming detached.
One solution is to place a sealed box containing an automatic pump below the cockpit, and direct the drains into this with an outlet above the waterline.
It sounds plausible, but a) expensive, and b) likely to be a drain on the batteries.
The jury is still out.