When I bought Blue Mistress, she had a spray hood.
Unfortunately, it got in the way every time I wanted to go below or when going forward, so I spent most of the time with it folded down.
Folded down, it still got in the way when I went forward as I tended to trip over it.
It did, however, protect the sliding hatch from leaking rainwater.
Nevertheless, I removed it at the first refit and haven’t really missed it.
The only difficulty now was that there was no protection from rainwater getting in around the edges of the sliding hatch.
So, at the last refit, Richard produced this cover.
This has almost solved the problem and I am very pleased with it.
It is held on with popper studs and rolls back neatly with a couple of strips of velcro. It can be removed easily.
If it comes on to rain, or there is spray, the hatch slides over and the cover unrolled very simply, rather than having to go below for the drop boards.
When below, it can be rolled down to allow privacy without closing off the companionway entirely.
I say almost solved the problem.
The next design will include narrow side panels to protect the sides of the hatch. We have had some torrential downpours here this summer and occasionally water has got in, particularly on the port side. Not nearly as much as before. (Of course, this also says something about the original hatch design).
Side panels will effect the way it is rolled back, but I am sure this can be overcome.